Sanitary Sewer Overflow Press Release January 3, 2021 - January 03, 2021

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  House Bill 1160, which the General Assembly enacted in July 1999, re... [more...]

Sanitary Sewer Overflow January 3, 2021 - January 03, 2021

PUBLIC NOTICE  FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: Henry Vann c/o Mount Olive – Town Hal... [more...]

Online Bill Pay - May 14, 2020

Online Bill Pay [more...]



To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

No, not at this time.

Does the Library have "story time" for younger children?

We do offer "story time" for younger children!  Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

Town Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am - 5pm daily.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, not at the current time due to dry conditions in our county.  Please contact city hall if you have any questions.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the Town of Mount Olive, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the Town of Mount Olive hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Park Facilities

Do I need a reservation to use a picnic shelter in the parks?

Yes, you will need a reservation to reserve a shelter at either Westbrook or Nelson Street Parks.

Public Works

Do you take requests for mowing lots?

We do not take requests for mowing lots. We start at one end of town and go to the other, then start over again.

Why won't you clean out my ditch?

Certain ditches are Blue Line ditches that are owned by the State of North Carolina. This means the flow of water can't be changed or impeded. There will be a monetary penalty and/or arrest if a violation occurs.

What if I have a water leak afterhours?

You may call Dispatch at 919-658-5031 Option 2. They will contact the on call personnel who will respond to your call as soon as possible.

There is a tree limb down in my yard, can you get it for me?

We are not allowed to go on someone's property to move any type of debris. It is the responsibility of the home owner.

I hit a pot hole and damaged my car. What should I do?

You will need to contact the Town Manager (Charles Brown) and bring in two estimates and photos of the location (we may not have been aware of the pot hole) and the damage. Your claim will then be submitted to our insurance company and they will handle your claim from there.

I have a street light out in my area. Who should I call?

You may contact Administrative Assistant Sherry Davis at 919-658-9539 ext. 106. She will need the pole number and the address closest to the pole. It is usually repaired within 24 to 72 hours of being reported.

How can I tell if a road is maintained by the State or the Town?

Any road that has a yellow line is maintained by the State of North Carolina and you will need to contact the NCDOT. Roads with no line or a white line are maintained by the Mount Olive Public Works Department.

If my sewer stops up what should I do?

We can only handle the blockage if it is in the connection at the street. You must have a clean out (a pipe with a lid a few feet from the road) before the Town can proceed. If the blockage is past the connection at the street (under ground pipes leading into the home) it is the home owners responsibility.

If you do not have a clean out then you will need to contact a licensed plumber.

What type of pest control is provided by the Town?

We do spray for mosiquitos from May 15th through October 15th. We do not provide home owners with rat poison and are not responsible for snake control.

Why does the Town not mow the railroad tracks?

The Railroad are owned and operated by CSX Railroad. The Town has been instructed not to encroach the railroad property. A violation would result in a monetary penalty or arrest.

There is a deceased animal in my yard, who do I call?

Public Works only picks up deceased animals in or beside the street. We can not go on private property to remove a deceased animal.

Trash Pick Up

When is the household garbage collection days for my street?

Please refer to the monthly schedule. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.

How often are recyclables picked up?

Recyclables are picked up the same day as your household garbage but on a bi-weekly basis (every other week).

Why was my garbage missed?

The trash pick up routine starts very early so it is imperative that you have your trash cart out the night before. If you complied with this and all the other carts on your street have been picked up. You may contact Public Works.

Another option regarding the delay could be an equipment break down. Public Works will be notified and it will be placed on our alerts link on this website.

Why is the garbage truck mixing recyclables and household garbage together?

Sometimes when one of their trucks breaks down, they will mix recyclables and household garbage in the same truck for th sake of convenience. However, once they get to their site they will separate it out.

What if I am unable to pull out my cart?

We have a backdoor pick up list for our elderly and disabled citizens. Please contact Administrative Assistant Sherry Davis at 919-658-9539 ext. 106. If you meet the qualifications you will immediately be added to the list.

My cart was tagged why?

At the end of your scheduled pick up day (unless there is a delay) your cart must be rolled back away from the street. Failure to do so after the cart is tagged will result in the cart being picked up by Public Works. A fee may be accessed in returning your cart.

A contractor landscaped my yard and mowed my grass. Why was it not picked up?

Anytime you hire a contractor to perform construction or yard work at your home, it is the responsibility of the contractor to remove and dispose of the debris. The Town of Mount Olive is not responsbile for said pick up and you will be charged a fee should we have to pick it up. We have a recylable center for your convenience.

NC General Statute Chapter 16 Section 47 (d) - Felled trees or stumps of any size, or logs, tree limbs and large shrubbery limbs must be placed in a separate pile from all other rubbish. Such material shall not be over four feet in length with a diameter not to exceed three inches. Collection will not be on a specific day for any residence and frequency of collection from a particular residence will depend on the volume of such debris town-wide. Material in excess of such limits shall not be collected by the town sanitation department. In addition, yard waste generated by landscaping, tree or yard maintenance contractors or other agents hired to do work at a residence or business will not be collected by the Town. It shall be unlawful for any landscaping, tree or yard maintenance contractor or other agent or individual hired to work at a residence or business to leave at the curb or on or about the sidewalk or street, any felled trees or stumps (of any size), or logs and/or branches larger than three inches in diameter and four feet in length.

When is loose leaf pick up available?

From October 15 through January 15th, leaves will be picked up whether they are in bags or not. After January 15th all leaves will have to be bagged for pick up.

Water Department

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension per a 12 month period can be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look. It should resolve itself within a couple of hours. If not please contact our office.

How much is the deposit for water connection?

The deposit amount is $125.00 per account.

Do I get my deposit back when I have the service disconnected?

After service is disconnected and the final balance has been paid a check will be mailed to your new address (this process usually takes about thirty days).

If I move to another address in Mount Olive, can I transfer my previous deposit toward the new account?

No, every account requires a new deposit before service will be turned on.

Can I pay my water bill online?

Not at this time. You can pay your bill via mail, in person, the drop box or automatic draft.

What form of payments do you accept?

Cash, check, money order and for your convenience we will accept visa and matercard payments.

What do I need to bring with me to set up a new account?

You will need a deed,  lease agreement or rent receipt, picture ID, social security number and $125.00 deposit.

When is my water bill due?

Water bills are due by the 15th of every month.

Recyclable Center

Do I have to be resident of Mount Olive to use the Recylable Center?

Yes, you must present your valid driver's license to the site attendant.

Does your site take yard waste?

Yes will accept yard waste.

Does your site accept card board?

Yes but it must be broken down.

Does your site accept paint cans?

No we can not accept paint cans (empty or not), they will need to be taken to the Wayne County Landfill in Dudley.

Does your site accept construction debris?

No, we do not accept any type of construction debris, such as plywood, sheet rock, bricks, shingles or glass. They will have to be taken to the Wayne County Solid Waste Landfill in Dudley.

Do you have a composting site?

We do not have a composted site available.

Do you take house garbage or solid waste at the site?

No we do not accept household or solid waste at the Recyclable Center, such items will have to be taken to the Wayne County Landfill in Dudley.


How much is a Cemetery Plot?

Cemetery Plots are $900.00 per plot in Carver Cemetery and the new Section of Maplewood Cemetery. In the old section of Maplewood the plots are $800.00.

Are there any other fees associated with the Cemetery Plot?

When you need to use the plot there is a fee of $1000.00 for opening and closing of the grave.

Can I pre-pay for my plots and the opening and closing?

Yes, you can set up an interest free pre-pay contract for both grave plots and opening and closing of the grave with the Cemetery Director

Is there a fee for setting a monument (headstone)?

Yes, the fee is $50.00 and must be marked by Town Personnel only. A notice of 24 hours must be given.

PLEASE NOTE: A grave must be marked by a headstone or foot stone. You may NOT use a marked vault lid as a marker.


Am I required to have a burial vault?

Yes our rules and regulations require a burial vault.

What if my relative was cremated?

If your relative was cremated, they can still be buried in our cemetery but you will be required to purchase a separate plot for them and they must be buried inside the urn.

Once payment is received in full, how long before I will receive my deed?

You should receive your deed within 14 business days.

Am I required to register my deed?

You are not required to register your deed with the Register of Deeds office.

Who maintains the mowing in the cemeteries?

The Town of Mount Olive contracts the mowing of the cemeteries.

Is there a fee to transfer my Cemetery Deed?

There is a $75.00 fee to transfer your cemetery deed.

Who do I call if my grave plot is sinking?

Contact our Cemetery Director. She will notify the grave diggers and they will take care of this once the grave settles. They will handle this for one year. After one year, the deed holder will be responsible for maintaining any settlement changes in the grave.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All Town elections are conducted by the Wayne County Board of Elections please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.

Business Licenses & Permits

What if I am taking over an existing business, do I still need to get a Zoning Permit.

Yes, anytime a business (new or existing) changes ownership an inspection must be completed and a Zoning Permit obtained.